So when should you fast? You should fast during these occasions:
- If you have arthritis
- If you have coated tongue
- During the Equinox to mark the start of a season (Most people cleanse during this time too)
- If you have the cold/flu. It gives your body a chance to rest, and restore its health. If you have a cold or flu, never
overeat. Just drink lots of liquids and juices.
- If you don't feel hungry
- If you have constipation problems.
There are bad times to fast as well. In particular, you should not fast during these occasions:
- If you just had a surgical procedure and are recovering from it. You need food for your body to rebuild. When you are
hospitalized, you usually aren't eating much anyway, so fasting is not needed.
- If you're trying to rebuild. If you are finished with cleansing, or close to finished, you need to rebuild your body,
and start eating powerful foods such as beef.
- If you're too skinny. Fasting will just make you even more skinnier, which will not be good.
- If you don't produce a lot of bile. If you fast, you may form more gallstones.
There are many types of fasts, and it can get confusing as to which one to do. For the most part, it's rather simple.
Any of them works, and you need to conduct kinesiology and ask yourself what type of fast you wish to do. A water fast,
though is something I would not recommend to most people, unless you have a naturopathist looking after you.
- A juice fast involves simply drinkinng fresh squeezed vegetable and fruit juices. Don't drink pasteurized juice whatsoever.
Commercially package juice is okay ONLY if it is 100% organic. Otherwise, avoid it at all costs. If you're juice fasting,
make sure you are diluting the juice by at least 40% or so.
3 Day Fast
- In the first day, you consume no solid foods whatsoever. You just drink some fruit juice, such as grape juice. You
may also drink veggie juices such as carrot juice. In the second day, you eat just broths. And finally, in the third
day you drink just vegetable juices. You may repeat this 3 day fast again if you feel you need to.
- An extremely easy fast. All you have to do is drink just 1 quart of fresh water everyday. This flushes your system.
Don't do this for more than three days though.
- Just drink herbal teas such as peppermint and dandelion tea. This type of fast is known for healing ailments. If you
drink parley tea during this fast, it will completely flush out your kidneys, and help edema. If you want to help your
lymphatic system, drinking nettle tea would be best.
This is such a great food, and fast. I do this often for a few days prior to colon or liver cleansing. It really reenergizes
your system, and prepares your body for a complete detox.
- 100% Healthy Foods
During the holidays, most of us eat junk food half of the time. Afterwards, it's best to switch to a 100% organic, healthy
diet that consists of fresh veggie, fruits, and good fats. Cheating is something we all do during the holiday season,
we just need to get back on track, and eating just organic foods for a week afterwards is great for our body!
- Master Cleanse
A colon cleansing regimen that involves taking a lemondate drink, alongside with a series of salt water flushes. The
problem I have with this colon cleaning internal cleansing regimen is that you shouldn't be consuming so many lemons
every single day.. It puts such a burden on your liver!
Fasting for Weight Loss?
Unfortunately, I wouldn't suggest doing any water fasting if you want lose weight. It simply is not effective, as you
lose just water weight. On the other hand, if you do lose any body fat while fasting, you lose it waaay too fast. As
a result, your skin contains these ugly pouches, that is quite dangerous (you need a surgical procedure to remove it!).
How to Prepare for a Fast
First, you need a juicer machine. This is a must. You can't rely on buying juice from the supermarket as most of these
are pasteurized and will make you feel even worse. Second, you need to buy only organic fruits and vegetables. This might
mean spending a bit more money, but it's worth it. You never know what normal fruits contain. Buy herbal teas such as
dandelion, and peppermint tea.
How to Break a Fast
One of the golden rules when fasting is to break the fast extremely slowly and carefully. If you don't, you might just
have ruined all the health benefits of fasting. In the first day after the fast, simply drink vegetable juices, and cooked
fruit. You may also drink some spicy tea.
Gradually add cooked foods, but make sure you mix them with lots of spices. Oatmeal is also a good food to eat afterwards.
Later, you may eat stuff like steam vegetables. A few days later, you may eat any solid foods.
This article was written by Angela Chang, a herbalist, writer, and blogger. Visit her website at Isagenix
and Colon Zone.